Learn. Unlearn & Relearn.

"Do you want to grow tall? Eat Beans!!" Hahaha, this was like an anthem in my home and even in schools as my teacher taught me that Beans can make a person very tall because it is rich in protein.

png_20240214_205024_0000.png

This leads me to answer this week's prompt which says;

Tell us about a time when you learned that something you’d always thought was true was incorrect.

I grew up learning that Beans had a lot of protein until I stumbled on a popular doctor's post on X which explains that Beans have less protein but more carbohydrates and fibre. I was awestruck..like what???????

He further explained that food rich in protein such as fish, milk, yoghurt and beans was far from it. Haha, I had to start unlearning what I have always thought was correct after doing my research too.

Moving on, I never knew I had been using a drinking straw incorrectly until my little niece corrected me.

That Saturday morning, after the house chores, being a good aunt I went out to buy Chivita Happy Hour for my niece just to say thank you for helping out then I decided to insert the straw in her drink as an act of service.

Before I knew it, she removed the straw and changed its position and I was wondering why.

Right from my childhood I've always used the kind of straw this way and thought it was the correct way to use it.

She turned the straw the other way around. For this prompt, I had to go for a drink that had the same type of straw to illustrate to everyone.

IMG_20240214_144213_770.jpg

I placed the straw like so.

IMG_20240214_150054_250.jpg

And this is what it looks like when inserted.

IMG_20240214_145910_338.jpg

My niece removed it and placed it like this.

IMG_20240214_150030_805.jpg

And this is what it looked like in a drink.

IMG_20240214_145814_013.jpg

And then I asked her why, and she explained to me that this will enable her to suck out all the liquid properly because it was designed with the shape of the juice box (juice popper) for that purpose and I was awestruck once again.

Honestly, I never knew that until I was humbled by my little niece😄 and I was glad I learnt that.

We made an experiment with it and she was right, we could suck almost all the liquid inside the juice popper with the way she placed the straw but couldn't the other way around.

Life is such a beautiful place, we learn consciously and subconsciously and it's very important to be flexible with what we learn, we should always try to filter out the ones that aren't right by learning and relearning. I believe learning never stops until we die and I am glad I learned much from my little niece.

How about you, have you experienced this too that you felt something you knew was correct until you were humbled? Haha, I would love to hear about your experience too.



The thumbnail was designed with Canva. While all other images used are mine.


Thank you for stopping by, till we meet again, this is Amie Geoffrey.
 

20220930_150506_0000.png










Comments

  1. @Verbal-D here from Hive and Twitter X. Great blog, sometimes we grow up not knowing the correct order or way of things, or even the sense and intention behind something, but we are humbled by anyone who is willing to teach us, and children are some of the best teachers in the simplest and most profound life lessons. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thoughtful feedback gladdened my heart, thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Beautiful Heritage

Is love enough to sustain a relationship?

Love.Hurt.Heal.